Easiest ever Nappy/Diaper Bag by Sew Christine
Sew Christine has kindly allowed us to reproduce her pattern for an easy-peasy nappy/diaper bag, that will keep all your baby's essentials in one place. The bag is fully lined and has roomy internal pockets, interlined with quilters fleece and has shoulder handles and a Velcro fastener. (Base stiffening is an optional extra but one I would recommend. This step is really easy too! You can get the base grid here) Half inch seam allowance throughout.
Follow the jump for full instructions on how to make the bag.
1. Fabric. You will need the following: 1 piece of fabric 25 inches (63.5 cm) long and 18 inches (46 cm) wide for the outside. 1 piece of fabric the same measurements for the lining, 1 piece of quilters fleece the same measurements for the interlining. You also need 1 piece of fabric for the pockets 23 inches (58.5 cm) long by 18 inches (46 cm) wide. For the handles you need 2 pieces of fabric 43.8 inches (111 cm) long 3.5 inches (9 cm) wide
2. Make the handles. Fold the fabric long ways, wrong sides together, and press the fold. Refold so that the edges of the fabric meet in the centre at the ironed edge. Re-iron. Fold over again so that the edges are caught in the middle. Stitch along both sides of the handles.
3. Attach handles to the outside fabric. Measure in 5 inches (13 cm) from both long edges and 9 inches (23 cm) from both narrower edges. (The long edges are the sides of the bag and the narrower edges are the tops of the bag)
4. Stitch along both sides of the handles and across the top and bottom. Leave 2 inches (5 cm) between the top stitching of the handles and the top of the bag.
5. Take the pocket fabric and fold it so the two long sides are folded into the middle right sides together. Stitch along both raw edges. Turn the right side and press.
6. Place the pocket piece- right side up- in the absolute centre of the lining fabric. Pin around the pocket.
7. Now mark the centre of the pocket with a line right across the fabric parallel with the bag top. Measure 2 inches on either side of the central line and mark’ Stitch from the top of the pocket along one side, along the 2 inch line and up the other side. Stitch another line in the middle to make 2 pockets. Turn and sew the other side of the pocket exactly the same.
8. Make a fabric sandwich. Place the fleece on the bottom; place the lining next right side up, place the top wrong side up (so the right side is touching the right side of the lining). Carefully pin all layers together making sure the handles are kept away from the stitching area.
9. Stitch right around the bag through all layers leaving a small gap to turn the bag right side out.
10. Turn out and press.
11. Match tops together with right side fronts together. Stitch down both sides of the taking care to catch the small opening into the seam.
12. Press the side seams open flat and stitch around the top of bag.
13. Push the bottom of the bag flat and match the side seams to the centre bottom of the bag. Mark a line half an inch from the pocket fabric. Stitch on this line on both sides.
14. Cut some bottom base to fit the ‘pocket’ across the bottom. Insert the grid into the pocket and turn the bag the right side out.
15. Attach Velcro to the top inside either by sewing or by using Fabric Fusion Velcro which can be just ironed on.